Who We Are
The Governor’s Mentoring Partnership (GMP) supports the California mentoring field by facilitating connections between individuals who want to become mentors and mentoring programs that need individuals to mentor.
State of California Community Volunteers
Have you already decided to become a mentor? You can use our online search engine to find mentoring opportunities in your community by simply entering your zip code in the box below.
If you are an employee of the State of California, find out how you may access the State Employee Mentor Leave Policy.
To accomplish our mission, the GMP:
- Facilitates connections between potential mentors and mentoring programs that are actively seeking mentors, through the use of online search tools, active marketing, and statewide networking.
- Promotes the State Employee Mentor Leave Policy (SEMLP) to State Departments, State Employees, and the mentoring field.
- Identifies and maintains a directory of mentoring programs that implement best practices and are eligible to participate in the SEMLP.
- Assists California mentors and mentoring programs in finding relevant mentoring resources and tools.
- Advises the Administration and State Departments regarding mentoring policy and direction, as needed.
- Participates in local, state and national dialogue around mentoring priorities.
- The Governor’s Mentoring Partnership (GMP), formerly the California Mentoring Initiative under Governor Wilson (Executive Order W-132-96, 1996), was created to support the California mentoring field.
- In February 2008, the GMP program moved to CaliforniaVolunteers (Executive Order S-02-08). The mission of CaliforniaVolunteers is to increase the number and impact of Californians engaged in service and volunteerism.